Saturday, November 29, 2008

Just like Statler and Waldorf (Betty, this one's for you!)

My normal 'seat' at the council meetings is in the first row of the gallery, directly behind the Director of Public Works. At one meeting this year I showed up a few minutes late, and the gallery was FILLED with people. I think it might have been the night the throngs came out to talk about what was going to happen with the Dr. G. W. Williams S. S. There were three people sitting on my bench. I had no choice but to sit in the media box on stage right.

Then Betty showed up. It wasn't until Betty arrived that I realized I may be in the wrong seat, but nobody said anything, so there I stayed. I think I may have got up to let her have the inside chair, but I don't remember exactly. Before the end of that council meeting I decided I really liked Betty. She knew who was who and where they stood on many issues. We spent a lot of time whispering back and forth like schoolkids. I learned a lot.

I met up with Betty this weekend. I hadn't seen her in a long time. I told her that I missed her since she'd been 'fired' from her job, and that's the truth. We were like the 'grumpy old men from the muppets' sitting up in the gallery whispering back and forth. I didn't know until just a few minutes ago that those guys had names.


I'll see you soon Betty!

No comments:

Post a Comment