Tuesday, March 6, 2007

A Blast from the Past - and Some Photo Editing

According to the writing on the back of this photo, it was taken September 6, 1941 when my Grandad Morton was home on leave during WWII. Grandad isn't in the picture, so I can only assume he was the photographer.


Back row, left to right, Clarence, Iva (Grandma) and Norris

Front row, left to right, Blanche and Gwen.

The picture above looks pretty straightforward, but I put a lot of time into making it look that way. The copy I had looked to be a proof, it was approximately 2.5" square, including a white border around the outside.

I scanned the photo into my computer at 1200 dots per inch using the software that came with the scanner. Then I switched to my new favourite program, Paint.Net. I blew the picture up to the point where I could clearly see the facial features of each of the people, and began to edit.

I removed some blotchy areas, cut out the top of the window, added the smoky border, and typed the date at the bottom. The copy I have now is nearly 4" wide and 6" high and it's much easier to look at. I'm very satisfied with my efforts.

This picture was taken a few years before my mother was born. I intend to find one that includes the whole family, and see how I can improve it to share with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment