Thursday, January 18, 2007

Because I Said So.

My parents are fantastic.

I'm confident in saying this, because I've spent a lot of time watching other people's parents. As a child, other family's rules were of great importance to me. I can remember asking Mom, "But her mother is letting her go....why can't I?" "His mother lets him stay out till midnight, how come I have to be home at ten?"

It wasn't until I had a child of my own that I was able to better understand why Mom and Dad unjustly fabricated some of these rules.


Wearing a winter coat was a point of contention in our house for a lot of winters. I can't begin to count the number of times I was told to button up or zip up because I was going to catch pneumonia. I've never had pneumonia, ever, so their suggestion must have paid off.

As the mother of a nearly eight year-old child, it is my duty to make sure he doesn't catch pneumonia himself, so I continue the endless fight of "Zip up! Where's your hat? Yes you have to wear your snowboots!" It's obviously going to make a tremendous difference in his life, don't you think? All this nagging.

Logan asked me last night, "Mom, why do I have to put on a sweatshirt just because you're cold??" A response snuck out of my mouth before I even had time to think about it, before I even became aware that there was a thought there, much less a response to his question.

"Because I said so."

There you have it. Those were the four words that I promised I would never use on a child. Because I said so was something I heard a zillion times growing up.

Why do I have to go to bed now?
Why do I have to eat this?
Why can't I have more chocolate?
Why can't I fingerpaint in the livingroom?

"Because I said so."

I like to think I'm a modern parent, a good modern parent. I know better than to try and rationalize with a two year old (I learned it from experience though, don't get me wrong, I'm far from perfect!). I know that aiming for the toilet is something only a mother thinks about. I also know that sometimes the 'real' answer is just too convoluted and complicated, both for me to explain, and for my son to follow.

And....honestly.....because I said so was the reason that was used to counter my questions. I learned it from my parents.

"You have to wear your winter coat because it's cold out there. If you get sick, I will stay home with you till you've recuperated, or drop you off at my parents' house where they will feed you apple pie with ice cream for three meals a day, and then I'll take you to the doctor's where we'll wait for two hours for a 15 minute appointment where the doctor will pronounce that you're not dying of whooping cough, don't need to be admitted to hospital, and have simply contracted the common cold, or a virus of some sort. Then, I will catch the nasty bug from you, and share it with Chris, and then, likely my folks will get it too. We'll all be sick and miserable because we just don't recover as quickly as you do, Logan."

Because I said so just works so much nicer in a situation like this. As much as it makes me cringe to say this.... my parents were right. Because I said so is a valid reason. For just about anything. All the time.

Yet another reason why I feel that my parents are fantastic. If you don't believe me..... you'll have to take my word for it, just because I said so.

No comments:

Post a Comment