This post struck a chord with me, especially the part where I thought Logan was being impolite, and Evelyn understood that it was an "example of the clear, uninhibited thought process of a very young child's mind."Logan will be 8 years old in a couple of weeks. He's always open to sharing his wisdom with others, and to question theirs. Last week, during a visit to the hospital to have tubes put in his ears he met another young boy who was going to spend the day in the hospital as well. Logan's second statement to this boy, once he'd determined he was staying for the day was "I'm getting tubes put in my ears, what's your problem?"
If he weren't 7 years old and so darn cute, that question would have upset me. You simply don't ask things like that. It's just not done! Obviously my parents instilled these kind of thoughts in my head.....they're not part of 'the uninhibited thought process of a child's mind' at all.
When Logan was about three and a half years old, he discovered that all he needed was money. With the right amount of money, he could have purchased all that he felt he needed to be happy. Toys! Lunch at McDonald's! More toys! All of those 'available at a retailer near you' goodies that they advertise on after-school television commercials -- he could have it all, if only he had some money.
During a routine trip to the grocery store he spied a package of small plastic cars. He wanted me to buy them for him. I explained to him I only had enough money for groceries. When he asked a second time I explained to him I was not going to spend $4 on 4 cheap plastic cars. Obviously I was trying to help him to understand the ADULT concept of money. He just didn't get it, no matter how many different ways I tried to explain it to him.
Once we'd left the store and he'd finally stopped grumbling about the cars, he explained HIS concept of money to me. When you're three and a half years old, and you're in need of money, the solution is simple. You crawl under Pop's recliner and take as much as you like.
I wonder if my father would think I was impolite if I followed Logan's lead?

No comments:
Post a Comment