Dear Editor,
On February 6th I attended a meeting of Aurora’s Council in committee. An agenda item really took my interest. The town has $80,000 to spend for a gateway sign. The money for the project was provided by Whitwell Development (State Farm Insurance).
An item from June 2006 on the town's website says that "the construction of a prominent Entry Feature such as proposed in this report will only enhance the importance of this gateway."
I agree. A great big sign proclaiming:
"Welcome To Aurora - It's Our Town and We're Proud of It!"
is certainly warranted. However $80,000 is a large price tag to attach to something like this. The designs provided are aesthetically appealing, but they all remind me of cemetery headstones.

A taller, livelier welcome to Aurora is a better idea.
$80,000 is a lot of money. I'm proud to be an Auroran. Council could consider paying the money to a local artisan, or group of artists to produce a sign of this nature. Wouldn't that be a sign of pride and confidence? The money could be divided between the town's high school arts programs; an investment in our education system, and an opportunity for the youth of Aurora to show their stuff. If the idea were put forth to the artsy folk of Aurora, I’ve no doubt that they could come up with something fitting for less than $80,000.I understand the money was provided to the town through an agreement with a developer in the area. Does this mean that if they hadn't given the money to the town, our gateway sign could possibly have read:

No comments:
Post a Comment